Leave feedback for the podcast on our Episode #180 Show Thread!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question of the Week 240
04-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Question of the Week 240
Demos. What say you? Gotta have 'em? Eh? Let us know!!

Please leave your answer in this thread

[Image: SabbathGray.png]
Wii U - videogabes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2017, 01:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2017 01:40 AM by SpamSpamSpamHumbug.)
RE: Question of the Week 240
Sorry I've been a stranger! I gave up video games and podcasts for Lent, so I'm just getting back into the swing of both of those things.

To the topic!

I used to like the idea of demos, and over the course of my gaming career I remember playing many demos.

But having gotten a bit more of an understanding of how games are developed, I can't say I'm much of a fan of demos anymore. Building a demo for a modern game requires forking the codebase months in advance, and requires diverting development talent to polishing, packaging, and releasing it...all of which have a negative impact on the development of the full game. Too, because it's being built from a forked codebase (and, probably, a forked asset repository), the demo will invariably contain things that will not be reflective of the final game...which may in turn mean that a bad experience in the demo will put people off of the game for reasons that aren't applicable to the final product.

I think things like Early Access are a better alternative to demos. The expansion of refunds on digital retail sales is another welcome trend.

Editor at Ultima Codex | Podcaster at Spam Spam Spam Humbug & Scouting Stuff
Scout for life, and consummate Ultima 6 fan.
04-22-2017, 07:29 AM
I personally think demos help encourage the games development. Yes it may derail the progress but they should allow it or make "early access" free or a reasonable cost to allow other people to see the value instead of the early access cash exploit that it has become.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
04-22-2017, 09:05 AM
(04-22-2017 01:36 AM)SpamSpamSpamHumbug Wrote:  Sorry I've been a stranger! I gave up video games and podcasts for Lent, so I'm just getting back into the swing of both of those things.

Great to have you back!

---
On YouTube.
On Twitter
[Image: 496961.png]
04-22-2017, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2017 09:54 AM by Robert Darrell Good Jr..)
So... A while back I mentioned that I played Viva Pinata (don't judge me). The only reason I bought it was because I played the demo, and my wife and I, against all our expectations, fell in love with the game. Before long I had most of the guys at work playing too.
I think demos are great, but I do think they're changing form. Free play days and free to play games are making the previous format more and more obsolete.
Find all posts by this user

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Digg