Leave feedback for the podcast on our Episode #180 Show Thread!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question of the Week 247
06-08-2017, 04:15 PM
Question of the Week 247
Have you ever ditched work or skipped school for video games?

Please leave your answers in this thread

[Image: SabbathGray.png]
Wii U - videogabes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2017, 02:40 AM
RE: Question of the Week 247
Not really, but I was "lucky" enough to be home sick from work (legit) the day Populous 2 came out. And I've spent plenty of nights up too late to be terribly functional at work but still went in...

[Image: 439293.png]
Find all posts by this user
06-09-2017, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2017 01:56 PM by Robert Darrell Good Jr..)
Not exactly. I sort of skipped home for one, though. When I was in college and still living in my parent's house, I worked in a gym/after school program/game room. It was a really diversified facility. I was actually a key holder for the facility.
I rented Knights of the Old Republic a few nights​ before one of our over night events and let the kids in attendance play it. But it was due back to Movie Gallery the next day. I wasn't scheduled to work that day, and the game room wasn't being used. So after spending the night at work, I kind of sort of just played the crap out of that game in a speed run attempt to finish it. Roughly ten or twelve hours later I was only about halfway through. I know this because I bought the game years later and got my wife hooked on it (she was mostly a PlayStation girl before).
By the way, if you have not played that game yet, Amazon underground was offering it as a free download for Android devices. I think it still is. It's a little dated, but still a fantastic game. I think it kind of put Bioware on the map.
06-09-2017, 11:50 AM
I've never skipped but I've certainly scheduled days off or vacation days around game releases I was excited about.

[Image: 1064935.png]
06-13-2017, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2017 05:20 AM by SpamSpamSpamHumbug.)
I've skipped out on work twice on account of games. The first was for the launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic; I took a vacation day, holed up in a coffee shop with good wifi (they exist!), and played from about 8:00 AM until 3:00 PM. And then walked home (90+ minutes), because my legs needed a stretch.

The only other time was when Ultima Forever was being shut down. This was an iOS game developed by Mythic Entertainment, in an attempt to bring the Ultima universe to mobile. It was an action RPG...and it's the only game to date that I'm listed in the credits of. The day its online services were shut down (effectively bringing the game to an end), I holed up in a coffee shop (notice the theme here?) with as many battery packs for my iPhone as I had. A friend in the States rented an iPad for the day, and the two of us rolled new characters and tried to get through as much of the game as we could. It was really cathartic, but also really sad: we made it further into the game as a team than I'd been able to make it as a solo player, and the story just kept getting better and better the further we went. We played for seven or eight hours...until the game servers switched off. And then I stared at the login screen for what felt like a long time (but was probably not much more than five minutes), before hopping onto Google Hangouts and dissecting the entire play session with my friend for another hour.

Editor at Ultima Codex | Podcaster at Spam Spam Spam Humbug & Scouting Stuff
Scout for life, and consummate Ultima 6 fan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Digg