Leave feedback for the podcast on our Episode #180 Show Thread!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question of the Week 250
06-29-2017, 08:17 AM
Question of the Week 250
In 30 years, who is going to be the leader of the video game industry!?

Leave your answers in this thread

[Image: SabbathGray.png]
Wii U - videogabes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2017, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2017 08:04 AM by Robert Darrell Good Jr..)
RE: Question of the Week 250
I have to agree with Chris on this one. Here's the thing one of my favorite publishers has been Microsoft Studios for games like Halo, Fable, Gears of War... If you look at their track record they have been in the habit of not only putting out a lot of first party titles, but they've also put out a wide range of them. From shooters and multi-player masterpieces like Halo and Gears to RPG's and creative works like Blue Dragon and Viva Pinata.
But we haven't heard nearly as much from those studios over the last couple of years or so, and while some of those studios were officially closed, a lot of the talent they were comprised of still works under the Microsoft umbrella. Also, until their recent E3 outing, lot of people forgot that Microsoft owns Rare, the maker of the majority of Nintendo's cutesy 3D romps on the N64 and the devoper of the Perfect Dark series.
To me it feels like they have all these resources they've been moving around and consolidating in the background. And they're releasing this new console power house without even trying to jump into a new generation. It feels like they're working on that infrastructure gradually. They tried to herald it with the Xbox One, throwing way too many new concepts at their public at once, and it wasn't well received. But honestly they've been moving their platform closer to it since the Xbone released, and it has generally been well received that way. None of the ideas they've had are original or new, but their large scale implementation has been. Timing is everything here.
In thirty years I think Microsoft will perhaps have their own hardware still, but more importantly I think they're going to have a nexus that connects and consequently unites the gaming community.
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2017, 06:30 AM
In thirty years' time, the leader will be whichever company offers the most comprehensive cross-hardware gaming experience. What I mean by that is: each device you own, from the phone in your pocket to the PC on your desk, as well as the console beside your television, are just terminals that you use to access a single, unified gaming experience and community. Everything - titles, save games, and the like - are accessible from any device, and in fact move seamlessly between them.

Currently, Microsoft seems to be ahead of the game in moving us toward this sort of experience; it's already (more or less) what the Windows user experience has become. So if current trends continue, Microsoft should easily be atop the pile three decades hence.

Editor at Ultima Codex | Podcaster at Spam Spam Spam Humbug & Scouting Stuff
Scout for life, and consummate Ultima 6 fan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2017, 10:21 AM
(07-05-2017 06:30 AM)SpamSpamSpamHumbug Wrote:  In thirty years' time, the leader will be whichever company offers the most comprehensive cross-hardware gaming experience. What I mean by that is: each device you own, from the phone in your pocket to the PC on your desk, as well as the console beside your television, are just terminals that you use to access a single, unified gaming experience and community. Everything - titles, save games, and the like - are accessible from any device, and in fact move seamlessly between them.

Currently, Microsoft seems to be ahead of the game in moving us toward this sort of experience; it's already (more or less) what the Windows user experience has become. So if current trends continue, Microsoft should easily be atop the pile three decades hence.

They also had a lot of connectivity with phones. I don't know if it's still running on Android, but on Windows phones there were a lot of games that could be played across PC, Xbox, and phone. In fact, some of them alowed players on the phones to play with people who were playing from their Xboxes. I haven't looked into it since they quit the phones.
Find all posts by this user

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Digg