Leave feedback for the podcast on our Episode #180 Show Thread!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question of the Week 263
09-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Question of the Week 263
What game has kept you from going to bed?

Please leave your answers in this thread

[Image: SabbathGray.png]
Wii U - videogabes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2017, 04:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2017 04:52 AM by Robert Darrell Good Jr..)
RE: Question of the Week 263
When I was a kid if we rented a game I might obediently go to bed, but I literally just laid there all night waiting for morning. That hasn't happened in a long time.
More recently nearly every game I've ever really dug into has kept me up at some point, especially if you include the midnight releases. But if I don't have to be at work the next day Elder Scrolls Online has definitely kept me and my wife up until dawn the next day a few times.
Find all posts by this user
10-02-2017, 04:22 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2017 04:42 AM by SpamSpamSpamHumbug.)
Question of the Week 263
Sorry I've been a stranger again. We welcomed our fourth child (and first son) into the world back in July, and I changed jobs soon thereafter; the new role is consultancy-based, which means a bit more travel. TL;DR: it's been good-crazy, but I've had little time for gaming, podcasting, or the forum community here.

To answer the question: Marathon, a Bungie FPS from back when they were primarily a developer of Mac games. Still has one of the most engaging stories I've ever encountered in a shooter.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the time black hole that is Torchlight. That game has been responsible for far too many 3:00 AM realizations that OH CRAP! I HAVE WORK IN THE MORNING!

Editor at Ultima Codex | Podcaster at Spam Spam Spam Humbug & Scouting Stuff
Scout for life, and consummate Ultima 6 fan.
10-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Congrats on your new son and the new job! That's so cool to hear!

---
On YouTube.
On Twitter
[Image: 496961.png]
10-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Question of the Week 263
(10-02-2017 12:38 PM)Ed Placencia Wrote:  Congrats on your new son and the new job! That's so cool to hear!

Thanks!

10-03-2017, 04:49 AM
(10-02-2017 04:22 AM)SpamSpamSpamHumbug Wrote:  Sorry I've been a stranger again. We welcomed our fourth child (and first son) into the world back in July, and I changed jobs soon thereafter; the new role is consultancy-based, which means a bit more travel. TL;DR: it's been good-crazy, but I've had little time for gaming, podcasting, or the forum community here.

To answer the question: Marathon, a Bungie FPS from back when they were primarily a developer of Mac games. Still has one of the most engaging stories I've ever encountered in a shooter.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the time black hole that is Torchlight. That game has been responsible for far too many 3:00 AM realizations that OH CRAP! I HAVE WORK IN THE MORNING!

Speaking of Bungie and Mac, Fun fact: Halo was first announced as coming to Mac, back when it was still being developed as a third person shooter. I don't remember the details, but Microsoft scooped that one out from under them.
Congratulations, by the way.
10-03-2017, 05:21 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2017 05:21 AM by SpamSpamSpamHumbug.)
Question of the Week 263
(10-03-2017 04:49 AM)Robert Darrell Good Jr. Wrote:  Speaking of Bungie and Mac, Fun fact: Halo was first announced as coming to Mac, back when it was still being developed as a third person shooter. I don't remember the details, but Microsoft scooped that one out from under them.
Congratulations, by the way.

Thanks!

And I remember the original Halo announcement for Mac; I was hugely excited by it. Bungie engaged heavily with the Marathon fan community during that time, teasing the links between Marathon and this new game of theirs. Google "the Cortana Letters" for more details.

Of course, Halo back then was to be a very different beast, more of a squad-based game with RTS elements. Kind of like Halo Wars, I suppose..."basically Myth in a sci-fi universe" was one description that got thrown around.

It's worth noting, though, that the shift to a shooter began before MS bought Bungie, although initially it looked like Bungie were moving over to a third-person perspective; that's what they showed off at E3 in early 2000. After MS bought them later that year, the shift to first-person took place, resulting in the game we know today.

10-03-2017, 05:46 AM
(10-03-2017 05:21 AM)SpamSpamSpamHumbug Wrote:  Thanks!

And I remember the original Halo announcement for Mac; I was hugely excited by it. Bungie engaged heavily with the Marathon fan community during that time, teasing the links between Marathon and this new game of theirs. Google "the Cortana Letters" for more details.

Of course, Halo back then was to be a very different beast, more of a squad-based game with RTS elements. Kind of like Halo Wars, I suppose..."basically Myth in a sci-fi universe" was one description that got thrown around.

It's worth noting, though, that the shift to a shooter began before MS bought Bungie, although initially it looked like Bungie were moving over to a third-person perspective; that's what they showed off at E3 in early 2000. After MS bought them later that year, the shift to first-person took place, resulting in the game we know today.

Yeah, man! It's crazy all the changes and tweaks they made to it. And it's successfully branched out into top down, mobile, and RTS genres. They even started early development of an MMO if I remember correctly. I love that whole universe and have really enjoyed all the ways they've given fans to explore it.
10-03-2017, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2017 05:56 AM by SpamSpamSpamHumbug.)
Question of the Week 263
(10-03-2017 05:46 AM)Robert Darrell Good Jr. Wrote:  Yeah, man! It's crazy all the changes and tweaks they made to it. And it's successfully branched out into top down, mobile, and RTS genres. They even started early development of an MMO if I remember correctly. I love that whole universe and have really enjoyed all the ways they've given fans to explore it.

This reminds me: I should check out Halo Wars 2.

10-03-2017, 02:25 PM
(10-03-2017 05:55 AM)SpamSpamSpamHumbug Wrote:  This reminds me: I should check out Halo Wars 2.

You and me both, but it's probably going to be a while for me.

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Digg