Leave feedback for the podcast on our Episode #180 Show Thread!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question of the Week 272
12-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Question of the Week 272
What is your favorite game from your childhood?

Leave your answers in this thread

[Image: SabbathGray.png]
Wii U - videogabes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2017, 01:52 PM
RE: Question of the Week 272
If we're talking about back when I was a toddler, probably Dig Dug. But I feel like most people are talking about when they get a little older and can communicate in full sentences at least, so I'll go with Joust or Mario. Just a little older, though, and I'd have to say Starfox or Toe Jam & Earl.
Find all posts by this user
12-06-2017, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2017 07:36 AM by SpamSpamSpamHumbug.)
Question of the Week 272
Ultima 6: The False Prophet.

This wasn't the first game I ever played; there were a few really excellent Sierra adventure games targeted specifically at children that came out in the 80s. I played several of those, and have introduced my children to a few of them, especially Mixed-up Mother Goose.

But Ultima 6 was something special. It wasn't just an adventure game; it was an open world RPG. I could control this on-screen Avatar of myself (that's what the game tries hard to make you believe), who would swing his arms and kick his legs as he moved about a brightly coloured fantasy world. There were monsters to fight, treasure to find, spells to cast, towns & dungeons to explore, and friends to make...you could have a party of up to 8 characters, all of whom had unique dialogue trees, and who were written to convey their own distinct personalities.

And then there was the interactivity. Just about everything you could see in the game could be iteracted with in some way. If you could see it, you could probably at least move it, if not pick it up or use it. Grab a bucket and use it on a cow...now you have a bucket of milk. Use the full bucket on a character, and they'd drink it; use the full bucket on a butter churn, and a stick of butter would be added to your inventory. Ten year old me was just held in wonder by all of this, so much so that I barely bothered with the story.

I still play Ultima 6 about once a year, and now that I'm older I can appreciate the story more. It's a clever subversion of the "save the kingdom from the invading monsters" trope, in that it gives the (apparent) monsters a legitimate grievance that has to be solved, not just defeated with force of arms. And along the way, it has something to say about racism and cultural misunderstandings. So, an all around amazing game, which I've been married to (heh) for 25 years or so.

Editor at Ultima Codex | Podcaster at Spam Spam Spam Humbug & Scouting Stuff
Scout for life, and consummate Ultima 6 fan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-06-2017, 07:36 PM
RE: Question of the Week 272
I have an arcade favorite, and a console favorite...

during my preteen / teen years, Capcom released "Marvel Super Heroes", their second Marvel License fighting game" to arcades, and it was my favorite super hero, Spider-Man's first appearance in the fighting game genre, so you know I had to get down on that. Considering this was during Capcom's peak fighting game period, seeing his CPS-2 sprite in action made my day...to this day, thanks to Iron Galaxy re-releasing it (alongside Marvel vs. Capcom 1) on PS3 and XBOX360 in the "Marvel vs. Capcom Origins" digital release. (but it's de-listed now, so if you don't have it already, you're out of luck, unfortunately.) Considering that the game is loosely based on Marvel's "Infinity Gauntlet" storyline, watching the trailer for "Avengers 3: Infinity War" made me pick it back up yet again to put yet another beatdown on Thanos!

On consoles at around the same time, my favorite game from childhood is, "Contra Hard Corps" on the Sega Genesis. Multiple characters with unique loadouts to choose from, crazy stages with tons of boss battles, a hi-octane soundtrack, and multiple endings...this entry in the Contra franchise gave me EXACTLY what I wanted out of it. If y'all haven't played it, you should definitely check it out. At least give it a watch on youtube!
12-07-2017, 04:00 AM
Question of the Week 272
As a child, Tunnels of Doom on my TI 994a. That was in middle school, probably 6th grade, and I spent hours scouring the randomly generated dungeons. Later on we got a Commodore 64 and ToD got replaced by The Bard's Tale, but it wasn't the same.

[Image: 439293.png]

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Digg