Leave feedback for the podcast on our Episode #180 Show Thread!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question of the Week 275
12-27-2017, 12:57 AM
Question of the Week 275
What did you get for Christmas?

Please leave your answers in this thread

[Image: SabbathGray.png]
Wii U - videogabes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-27-2017, 01:22 AM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2017 12:21 PM by gregleg.)
RE: Question of the Week 275
Gaming-wise, the Lego Dimensions Story packs, which gets me to 100% achievement availability for that game (in other words, a few more months of gameplay).

A set of Audio-Technica noise-reducing earbuds I'd had my eye on for a while, to replace my ancient falling-apart Sennheisers.

The usual stuff that I appreciate more and more as I get older, like socks and a belt.

But the main theme this year seemed to be whiskey. My wife and I treated each other to a joint gift of Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year bourbon when the opportunity to buy one came up.

Then the in-laws got me a bottle of Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey (because they wanted Irish coffee on Christmas Eve and knew our stock was running low Smile )

And the biggest surprise of all, my wonderful wife got me a bottle of The Macallan Special Edition #3 Single Malt Scotch.

With 3 new bottles of varieties of whiskey, we should be set for a while.

[Image: 439293.png]
Find all posts by this user
12-27-2017, 01:32 AM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2017 01:35 AM by Robert Darrell Good Jr..)
For Christmas I got The Clockwork City for Elder Scrolls Online and some books I've been wanting. But the best thing I got this year was a story that I'll be passing on to you. I'm going to warn you this is going to be a long one, but if you'll bare with me, I think you'll be glad you did in the end.
To start with you have to understand that Liz and I have never taught our kids to believe in Santa Clause, and even as a child I've never believed in him myself. But my daughter is a believer. I don't know why, but she is. She didn't even want me to help her write a letter to him this year, but she did want to do something for him. So she asked me to leave out some cookies and milk for Santa when he stops by. So I left the snacks in our microwave to make sure the cats didn't get to them, and I wrote a note to Santa for the first time in my life.
The note said:

“Dear Santa:
At my daughter’s request, I have left some treats for you here in the microwave. Her mother and I have never taught her to believe in you, but somehow she does anyway. Like most kids she makes mistakes, but she tries. She’s a beautiful person with more faith than I can comprehend. If anyone deserves a visit from you, it's her.
So if you happen to stop by, please enjoy the cookies and milk inside.

Sincerely, Abeni's father”

I never perpetuated or encouraged her belief in a fictional character, but truth be told there's a part of me that has admired her for holding onto that faith in spite of what Liz and I have always taught her. She believes simply because she wants it to be true.
Jim Butcher, in one of his Dresden Files novels, wrote that 'faith is a power unto itself' and that stuck with me. This Christmas Eve a little girl's faith has led to a 36 year old man, who's never believed in Santa Clause, to leave out a plate of cookies for him along with a note for the first time in his life. I sincerely want to be wrong. She was not even worried that the cookies would still there come morning. She was just excited they were being left out. I just wish that those cookies could've been eaten by morning. I wouldn’t do it.
I braced myself for a difficult morning when she discovered that the cookies were still there. She was barely awake when she went to check on the treats, but instead of expressing sorrow or disappointment, with barely a word spoken between us, she read the note and said, “I still believe.” Then she took the note and taped it to her bedroom door. Christmas night, as I was about to tuck her in, I found her sitting up in her bed reading the note over again. I find my daughter's faith both inspiring and terrifying.
12-28-2017, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2017 01:55 PM by SpamSpamSpamHumbug.)
Question of the Week 275
I got a fair bit of cash for Christmas, so I picked up a copy of Elex. And I think I might grab another Chromecast for the basement TV later this week.

And my wife bought me this really neat sweater/second layer. I put it on under my jacket today when I took the kids out sledding; it held up nicely against the -29 C weather.

Also, there was this:

[Image: ecfa1bb967ddac7076a9be89bff1e431.jpg]

Oh, and some of the kids in my Scout Group bought me a jacket and some socks. Which is funny, because bringing along extra socks is something I remind them about before every camp.

[Image: 40f97d86bdb9be17931e0de0443ce0b0.jpg]

Editor at Ultima Codex | Podcaster at Spam Spam Spam Humbug & Scouting Stuff
Scout for life, and consummate Ultima 6 fan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2018, 03:55 AM
I got That ol' Nintendo Switch with 6 games. (also my birthday is over Christmas break, so it was Christmas+birthday). Anyone want to play Mario Kart 8 deluxe or Splatoon 2?

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Linkedin Digg